Still Raining - 9/2
Back Home Up Next

Still raining.  It rained all night and is still raining today.  Nicki is coming today from Wisconsin for a visit.  She is expected late morning.

Someone here at camp told me about Sewell Lake and that it was fairly common to catch 4 - 5 lbs. Northern Pike and I wanted to give it a try.  There was a break in the clouds around mid morning so Lewie and I decided to give it a try.

As I was getting ready to hook up the boat, the power trim motor was running again in the up position.  Apparently rain water had gotten into the switch located near the motor and completed the circuit.  I tried drying it out with a hair dryer and it seemed OK.  However when Lewie and I got to the lake, the motor was running again.  We messed with it for a few minutes but then the rain resumed.  Fuck it!.  I disconnected the battery and will disconnect the switch before we go out again.

On our way back to camp, we stopped in Dalton as Lewie wanted some worms and I needed ice.  Low and behold, there's Nicki at the gas station.  She's lost and stopped for gas and directions.  Lewie rides with Nicki and guides her to camp.  I follow about 10 minutes behind as I got my ice and loaded the cooler.

Denise made clam chowder for lunch.  After lunch the rain continued.  Finally in the late afternoon, the rain seemed to let up.  Lewie and I went out on the south lake.  We fished for about an hour when all of the sudden, the wind came up, the rain started, and there was thunder and lightening not too far away.  Of course we were on the complete opposite side of the lake from the boat ramp.  We couldn't have been any further away and still been in the lake.

We made our way across the lake as best and as quickly as we could with the waves crashing over the bow and soaking us to the bone.  When we got to the ramp, we had to wait our turn.  There were two in front of us and fairly quickly, there were two more behind us.  Apparently we were not the only ones caught by surprise in the storm.  When our turn came, we loaded the boat as quickly as possible.  Because it's only a mile back to camp, we didn't even take time to strap the boat down or put down the bimini top (which I put up thinking it would keep us dry).

So that ended that day.  We sat under the awning in the evening listening to the rain and visiting with Nicki.

Back Home Up Next

 Questions, Comments, Praise, Complaints?
Please send me an email at