Story City, IA - 8/2
Back Home Up Next

Busted Mutton Arthur Bryant's The Original Us Inside #1 Inside #2 The Food Denise & Staff Cabela's Store #1 Store #2 Trophies Display #1 Crappie Corner Aquarium #1 Aquarium #2 Aquarium #3 Aquarium #4

We were up early but the day was already hot.  It never really cooled down overnight.  I'd guess it was still in the 80's while I was getting things packed up before 8:00 am.

We fueled up and were on the road around 8:30 am.  I was already looking forward to our planned lunch stop at Arthur Bryant's Barbeque in Kansas City.  We reached Kansas City right at 11:00 am when they opened.  If you go to their web site, you'll see there's three locations.  We chose the one by the Kansas Speedway.  Although not the original, I figured there would be more room to park as it was newer.

Lunch was great!  We both order pork sandwiches.  I went "whole hog" and ordered the fries and some beans.  Denise had coleslaw, or "slaw" as they call it, with hers.  The beans were so good that we got a quart to go.  I also got a slab of the pork ribs to go with the beans.  That should make a good meal tonight or tomorrow.

While cruising the area looking for Arthur Bryant's, we saw a Cabela's sporting goods store.  Cabela's is a chain in the Midwest that is known for its HUGE selection and beautiful displays.  After lunch we decided to walk off some of that pork sandwich and check out Cabela's.

And it IS huge.  I don't really know how to describe it so I'll let the pictures do the talking.  One display they had was an aquarium the reminded me of one of the exhibits you would see at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.  But instead of saltwater fish, it was filled with species native to the area.

By time we left Cabela's it was really heating up.  The thermometer didn't reach the 100's as it did the previous day in western and middle Kansas but it was definitely in the mid 90's and there was humidity. Just from walking back to the rig in the RV parking lot, I was already dripping with sweat.  We'd left the dogs in the trailer with the A/C running.  The puddle dripping from the roof looked like one had just poured a gallon of water on the pavement.

We continued our drive turning north on I-35.  We had planned to stop in Des Moines, IA and stay in an RV campground and the state fairgrounds.  But all of the roads in Des Moines are under construction and just getting through that city was a challenge.  We did try the exit where the fairgrounds were supposed to be but nothing but detours and grief.  We decided that even if we found it, we didn't want to stay there.  I got back on the freeway and continued north.

Well there's not many RV parks along I-35 in Iowa.  After taking a few exits just to find that the advertised campground was another 11 miles or so off the freeway, we decided if we couldn't see it, we weren't going.  Finally we found the Whispering Oaks RV park in Story City, about 45 miles north of Des Moines.

It was a nice park.  Very shaded which we needed.  However it was still very humid.  I got things set up and Denise and I sat in the shade.  It wasn't too bad in the shade.  At least we could stand to be outside, unlike the previous night.  We sat and had cocktails and called family and friends. 

Then just at dusk, we saw fireflies for our very first time.  It was kind of like watching a fireworks show.  For whatever reason, their butts glow in short bursts.  They would hover by the lawn and the grass was full of blinking lights.  It was really cool.

But as the sky turned totally dark, mosquitoes replaced the fireflies.  We ran for the cover of the trailer and decided to call it a night.

Back Home Up Next

 Questions, Comments, Praise, Complaints?
Please send me an email at