Basalt, CO - 7/26
Back Home Up Next

Wal Mart Wal Mart View Campground View #1 Campground View #2 Campsite View Schatzi

Since we only had 120 miles to travel today, we got a late start and enjoyed the extra time around our camp.  It was a beautiful morning.

I didn't actually drive through the RV park across the street one more time but I certainly thought about it.  We were on our way sometime around 10:30 am.

In Rifle, CO, we found a Wal-Mart and stopped for a little shopping.  The parking lot was nice and big so we parked in the open and were able to open the slide outs in the trailer after we finished shopping.  We fixed lunch and took a bit of a break.  After all, we only had another 40 miles to go.

We arrived at Aspen-Basalt Campground in the early afternoon.  The campground is nothing more than a place to park your rig for $34.50 per night but the area is beautiful.  Rich and Bonnie Nichols own the place and are very nice.  I was also surprised that they didn't charge us for the previous night that we cancelled because we stayed in Fruita.

The campsites are extremely close together and you share a common area with your neighbor.  There's a weak attempt at placing a small divider fence between the two picnic tables but it's really a joke.  But there's no one next to us now and we hope it stays that way. 

The whole park is "lit up" with wireless Internet.  After setting up, I couldn't wait to get on the system to start fixing my web server so I could post these web updates.  The signal strength was very good but the data just wasn't flowing.  I spent the rest of the afternoon working with Rich trying to get things sorted out.  I finally gave up and tried the "cell phone" wireless card I have.  It's only a 40 kbps connection but better than nothing.  The web software reported that there was 24 hours remaining for the initial sync up with my web server.  Normally I do this at home before we leave but that was not possible this year due to the crash.  And now you know why.

So the computer was ticking away byte by byte and it was around 6:00 pm.  Denise and I spent the rest of the evening just relaxing and we fixed our first "real" meal since we left.  I barbequed the pork ribs we bought earlier at Wal-Mart and Denise fixed a salad.  A little TV after dinner and then it was bedtime.

Back Home Up Next

 Questions, Comments, Praise, Complaints?
Please send me an email at